I have created Data Shares from various drawings and shared them to other drawing/s. Now, I need to move the data share (storage) folder. What is the process?
When a data share is created, you specify a fixed directory path to store the data. The path you pick for the data store is appended with a folder with a name containing the drawing name and a unique ID for the drawing.
Typically, best practice will be to network this location and not move/change it for the duration of the project.
When a project reads in a data share, it stores the fixed path to the data it is referencing. In the event of that path being altered, the software will generate errors including: alignments missing, change default surface, etc.
- If you know where the share folder/s is/are:
- Open the data share path in Windows Explorer so you can copy the path from the address bar. Each source drawing will be represented in this directory with a folder.
- Open the -Data\AdvRoads-10 directory for the receiving project and open the file DataFoldersAdded.txt using Notepad or similar text editing software
The DataFoldersAdded.txt file contains a reference to the source folders of each contributing project, as well as the objects that have been referenced in.
- In this file you will see a structure to the data store. Example below:
<SHARE>|E:\Projects\0409\DATA SHARE\0409 CXB fd389b4c-535e-4e62-bf63-3d066d76db2f||||
<SHARE>|E:\Projects\0409\DATA SHARE\0409 LB 9157fb73-5798-4f64-b4b0-f4e86e4f3a1b||||
Each line containing <SHARE> defines a data reference to a shared folder of data. Each line below <SHARE> describes the data that has been shared: surfaces, pipes, alignments and strings are all defined, line by line below a <SHARE> entry.
- The path next to the line containing text <SHARE>| needs to be manually edited, so that it points to the new location of the data store. Save the file.
- Open the drawing and it will reconnect with the information in the data store folder
- If you don't know where the share folder/s is/are
- Firstly, you need to go to each source drawing and recreate the data shares using the Data Share > Create Share command in Civil Site Design. Pick a centralised location for the data
- Repeat the above steps.